Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Why I Love Horror

When I read my first H. P. Lovecraft book, I was 9 or 10 years old. My brother lent it to me, saying it was best read in the basement. I remember the feeling of dread that came over me as I read about the denizens of Innsmouth for the first time. I began to feel as if there were eyes watching me from the shadows, something just out of the range of sight. Even Lovecraft's words had a special sound to them: phantasmagorical (still my favorite), lugubrious, and others. Suddenly, I knew that this would always be my favorite genre, because horror has it all. Mysteries, fantasy, ghost stories, action. Nothing can beat the racing heart, chills along the back of one's neck, fingers gripping the page tighter and tighter as the suspense builds. I believe the finest horror writing encompasses all of these sensations.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome description of why you love horror. Yes, Lovecraft is definitely the master. What's creepier than Nyarlotep or Cthulhu? I rented Masters of Horror on Netflix, and one of the episodes is "Dreams in the Witch House" by Lovecraft. I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete