Thursday, February 11, 2010

Karate Lovefest

It's hard to explain my love/hate affair with karate (I love it, my body hates it). I've been interested in it since I was a kid, learning techniques from friends. I had about 4 friends teaching me different styles when I was in my early twenties. I didn't have a specific dojo to call home until 2001. Since then I've had several starts and stops due to a bad back, but somehow have kept on going.

My longest hiatus was 2-1/2 years, when I was in Seattle. I guess I just never felt comfortable away from my dojo. I still practiced kata and techniques, but never enrolled in another school. When I returned to Ohio this last November, one of the first places I went was back to my dojo. It felt like I had truly returned home when I took my first class. It doesn't matter to me if I can never get my black belt due to physical difficulties (having about 1-1/2 feet of metal surrounding my spine has led to it losing all natural shock absorbing curves and severe arthritis), I just want to keep on practicing as long as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment